Philip Hood & Kristina Tobutt
Teaching Languages in the Primary School provides a coherent overview of teaching and learning languages between the ages of 5 and 11, combining practical strategies for use in the classroom with engaging coverage of how to teach, informed by academic research and theory.
This second edition was published in 2015.
- Fully updated coverage of policy and curriculum developments, including the 2014 National Curriculum and the Teachers’ Standards
- A new chapter on curriculum, planning and assessment for KS2
- Expanded coverage of the transition from primary to secondary school and the implications for teaching
- More examples of creative teaching and learning throughout.
- What is the background to primary language learning?
- What does language learning offer a primary school?
- How might I structure language learning in the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)?
- How should I begin to offer language learning in KS1 and KS2?
- Where to next? How can I embed the language into the school day and the wider curriculum?
- How do I make sure I really challenge the older learners?
- How do I develop progression in the new National Curriculum?
- How do I know if the children are learning? How can I help them to progress smoothly to KS3?
- What does research tell us about the integration of languages into the curriculum?
Teaching Languages in the Primary School is essential reading for all students studying primary languages on initial teacher education courses, including undergraduate (BEd, BA with QTS), postgraduate (PGCE, School Direct, SCITT), and also NQTs.
Paperback, 232 pages, 170 x 240 mm
Click on the image below to download a sample chapter from Teaching Languages in the Primary School
To download these resources, you will need to use Adobe Reader software. Adobe Reader is free software that lets you open, view, search and print PDF files. It is usually pre-installed on your computer, but if not, you can download it for free here:
Saver Delivery: £3.99 per order
Delivery within 7 working days for in-stock items. Delivery with Royal Mail or Parcelforce.
Tracked 24: £5.99 per order
Delivery within 1 - 3 working days. Delivery with Royal Mail.
Tracked 48: £4.99 per order (or FREE for orders over £50)
Delivery within 3 - 5 working days. Delivery with Royal Mail.
Parcelforce 24: £8.99 per order
Guaranteed delivery date as shown when you select this service at checkout.
Please note that all orders sent outside the UK are considered exports. We send all orders DDU (delivery duty unpaid) and you may have to pay import charges to receive your parcel, however you will not have to pay UK VAT on your order. Please check with your country's government for further details of these charges.
We deliver to most countries worldwide using a range of tracked and insured services. Our postage and packaging prices to international destinations vary depending on the total weight of your order. If you add items to your basket and select your country from the "estimate delivery" dropdown box at the bottom of the basket page, you will be able to see immediately how much it would cost to ship those items to you.
If your destination is not available in checkout, please contact us for advice.
For full details of our delivery terms, please click here.