Nicolette Hannam & Michelle Williams
French Festivals and Traditions is an invaluable, time-saving book that provides intercultural ideas for every month of the year. For each festival and tradition you will find:
- Background information
- Key vocabulary
- Detailed lists of possible teaching activities
- Optional photocopiable sheets
Ideas range from making cards and reading / writing poems to playing games and cooking traditional recipes.
Analysis grids show where and how the Intercultural Strand of the KS2 Framework for Modern Languages is covered, both by objective and by year group.
The final section provides detailed plans for organising a French Day in your school - an ideal way to raise the profile of modern foreign language and enthuse both staff and children. Festivals and Traditions featured include:
- January - Le Jour de l'An (New Year's Day) / La fête des Rois (Epiphany)
- February - La Chandeleur (Candlemas) / La Saint-Valentin (St Valentine's Day)
- March - Mardi gras (Shrove Tuesday / Carnival Day)
- April - Poisson d'Avril (April Fool's Day) / Pâques (Easter) / Les contes de fées (Traditional / fairy stories)
- May - La fête du travail (May Day) / La fête des Mères (Mother's Day)
- June - Joyeux anniversaire (Happy Birthday) / Le festival de Cannes (Cannes Film Festival)
- July - Le quatorze juillet (14th July) / Symbols of France
- August - Planning a holiday / How is French culture incorporated into our everyday life?
- September - La rentrée (The new school year) / Comparing Pastimes
- October - Halloween / La Toussaint (Halloween/ All Saints' Day) / Challenging stereotypes / Role models for children
- November - Cuisine française (French Food) / Beaujolais mouveau wine tradition
- December - Joyeux Noël (Happy Christmas)
Guidance for Use
French Festivals and Traditions has been developed for use with children at primary school (KS2).
Full teaching notes are provided and this is a suitable resource for a non-specialist teacher.
This product is licensed for photocopying for educational purposes by the purchasing institution.
For use with KS2 (Ages 7 - 11)
Paperback, 84pp, 280 x 210mm