Take 10 auf Deutsch (Take 10 in German) is a resource that helps primary school children to practise their German in a fun way whilst taking part in short tasks of daily physical activity. In doing so it brings together two major educational initiatives and offers the potential to significantly improve children's learning potential.
Take 10 auf Deutsch is based on the highly sucessful resource pack Take 10 - Fit to Succeed, a collection of great ideas to get primary children active for short 10-minute periods and now used in many schools across the country. It takes many of the ideas from the original resource and adapts these to support the teaching of German.
This resource will help children to improve their ability to listen and respond in German and to memorise chunks of language in order to speak and sing it for themselves.
Teachers do not need a high level of linguistic competence to use the resources; the activity rhymes can be used without the teacher having to speak any German at all.
The resource pack consists of:
A bilingual book, in e-book (pdf file) format containing:
- German Activities set out alongside the original English text
- The texts of the Action Rhymes and Songs with details of how to use them in the classroom
- Guidance on how to best use the resources
A DVD / CD pack featuring:
- Action Rhymes performed by small groups of school children to a musical soundtrack and lyrics sung by native speakers
- Original soundtracks for the Action Rhymes
- Instructions for each of the activities recorded by native German speakers to help teachers with their pronunciation
"An exciting resource accessible to teachers with little or no language."
Review by respected critic, TES 23 November 2007
Guidance for Use
Take 10 auf Deutsch has been developed for use with children aged 3 -11 who are beginners to the German language. There are separate activities for Foundation, Key Stage 1, Lower Key Stage 2 and Upper Key Stage 2.
This is a suitable resource for a non-specialist teacher.
Please note that the book element of this resource is now supplied as an e-book (pdf files) on a CD-ROM. You will receive 4 discs; 1 x e-book, 1 x action rhymes CD, 1 x pronunciation CD and 1 x action rhymes DVD.