Learning French with Camembear is a comprehensive user-friendly programme for introducing young children (EYFS and KS1, ages 3 - 6) to French. Developed by foreign language teaching specialists, it has been written so that it is easy to deliver by teachers and nursery practitioners, even if they have no prior experience of teaching French. Children will have fun learning French through a variety of methods including games, stories, arts & craft activities, songs, multicultural resources and much more.
At the heart of the programme is the gorgeous puppet, Camembear. Learning languages is much easier if the child identifies with the subject matter, which is where Camembear comes in! Engaging with the puppet makes children feel like they're really communicating with a French speaker, encouraging them to interact and practise the words and phrases they're learning.
Learning French with Camembear - Pack 1 includes:
A teacher's planning and resource file, which includes:
- 3 x CDs (sound files, songs and rhymes, printable and digital resources)
- Training DVD
- 15 topics and easy to follow methodology for teachers and practitioners
- 2 x books (first 10 numbers and ten colours)
- Multicultural resources including photo album and map of France
In addition to the file, the pack also includes a Sac Magique, containing:
- High-quality Camembear puppet
- Giant foam dice with pocket inserts for flashcards
- 10 coloured ribbons
- Large French flag
Why use Camembear to introduce French in your nursery / infant school?
- The Learning French with Camembear (LFWC) pack has been developed as a very user-friendly programme - you don't need to be a specialist of French to deliver this. The structure is designed so staff can learn with the children. One member of your staff will become the "Camembear Champion" and they will co-ordinate the training of other teachers / practitioners (a training DVD is supplied in the pack) and organise the delivery of French into the nursery planning.
- You don't need to bring in a French specialist to do the teaching; it can be done in house with the current practitioners and teachers.
- LFWC supports early learning goals and Ofsted requirements. The programme complements and enhances the teaching of the whole EYFS curriculum.
- Through links to other curriculum areas, the programme encourages practitioners to bring the new language to life and make it meaningful.
- Camembear really motivates children to speak French. Children are generally more confident speaking to a puppet in French than to another person, and will be reassured by being taught by practitioners they already know.
- LFWC is a very flexible, creative and enriching scheme that will complement what you do already in your setting. When learning numbers in English, why not use Camembear to reinforce numbers in French too?
- Camembear becomes part of your team and part of your learning culture at nursery. He can be used to enhance daily rituals for example, greetings, reinforcing good manners, or even asking for snacks at snack time – all can be done in French with Camembear.
Learning French with Camembear is suitable for introducing French to young children from approximately 3- 6 years old. It was developed to be used for EYFS (3 - 5 years) but could also be used with lower KS1 children in primary / nursery school. It is a suitable resource for both specialist and non-specialist teachers.
Please note that we are only able to supply this resource to Ofsted / Estyn registered schools and nurseries in England and Wales, to independent schools, and to international schools and nurseries outside of Great Britain. Due to publisher restrictions, Little Linguist is not able to supply this product in Scotland.