GrowStoryGrow is a multilingual story-telling website for learning languages. Stories provide wonderful educational platforms that make children laugh, cry, squeal, question and think. They also provide a stimulating context for language-learning.
Your annual subscription will give you unlimited access to over one hundred stories, interactive games and resources in the following languages:
Grow Story Grow is unique in many ways:
- You can choose one or a combination of languages (one subscription gives access to all stories in all languages)
- The stories are uniquely written in the way that they 'grow' using high frequency words
- You can follow the stories with or without translation, audio, text and animations, making them a very versatile educational tool
- Learning tasks teach the children to build their own sentences
- A whole teaching and learning package includes interactive games, lesson plans, downloadable books to take home and more...
The unique approach used in GrowStoryGrow will offer your children a truly enjoyable and productive language-learning experience.
About the stories:
The stories are uniquely written for learning languages. They start off very simply and 'grow' with the addition of high frequency words. The idea is that learners can start off with minimal language and slowly build their confidence and language knowledge as they progress through the levels.
There are many types of stories:
- Educational stories, e.g:
- The Solar System
- The Plant Cycle
- World Culture
- The Easter Story
- Traditional stories from around the world, e.g:
- Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves
- Sleeping Beauty
- The Dreaming Tree
- The Honeyguide's Revenge
- Funny stories, sad stories, interesting stories, e.g:
- Indian Village
- The Great Wall of China
Through the stories children can:
- Improve their literacy skills
- Enhance their listening skills
- Raise their level of confidence
- Express themselves and their emotions
- Understand other cultures and subjects
- Learn a new language just by listening, reading and joining in
- Learn structured language which they can practise and build on.
The method: Progression through high frequency words
The method used is called 'progression through high frequency words'. The stories progress by adding high frequency words, giving the children the skills to understand and build their own sentences. In English there are 12 words that make up 24% of all reading and writing. The same theory applies in other languages. By focusing on these words in your teaching you are providing the children with an excellent start to their language-learning journey.
There are many resources. Children can:
- Make the scripts into mini books to take away and read at home
- Listen to the talking books and read their own copy of the story at the same time
- Have their own character cut-out for role-playing and become more involved with the story
- Make masks and puppets
- Complete worksheets
The lesson plans
The lesson plans are written for the non-specialist but can also be used by an experienced teacher who is looking for imaginative ideas and resources. The plans provide the teacher with a framework on which to build his/her own personalised lesson. Because the stories are educational, they often provide a springboard for general discussion. This does not have to take place in the target language. Indeed, the lesson plans are not designed for full-immersion, and use of the mother tongue for explanations, introductions and discussion is perfectly acceptable.
The key is to introduce very small chunks of language at a time. Even just one word a lesson can be enough. Little but often! And build, build, build.
Guidance for Use
GrowStoryGrow is suitable for use by teachers working with children in KS1, KS2 and KS3 (ages 5 - 14). Your purchase includes an annual subscription to access the Grow Story Grow website. You will need web access to use this product.
Please note that once your subscription has been activated, this product cannot be refunded and an annual renewal is necessary if you wish to continue using this product after the initial 12 months.